Friday, March 21, 2008

June Sahagian

You are probably wondering what is a June Sahagian. Well that's the name of one of my favorite teacher off all time. A teacher who left a lasting impression in my life.

I remember her being very tall (of course I was only seven years old at that time, all adults seemed tall), curly short hair. My first day in her class was different because that particular day in school, I was put in a situation very unfamiliar to me. First of all I did not speak the language, and second it was a totally different culture.

Not much can be remembered about that first day, as I spoke no English and didn't really know what was going on. I spent that first day observing my new environment. It was a very multicultured class. I couldn't keep my eyes off my teacher as she was speaking something but I could not understand. I thought that if I concentrated very hard I would be able to understand but to no avail..............all just sounded like jibberish.

I can't remember how long it took me to actually pick up the English language but I gradually picked up the language and was able to communicate.

Mrs. June Sahagian loved children and it shows through her way of teaching. I remember how patient she was with me who had no idea what was going on, and because of her patience I was able to shine in her class.

Her way of teaching was a different approach to what I was use to. She made me think for myself and stretch my imagination. She always exposed her students to culture and arts.

I remember our field trips to the museum when it was displaying the King Tut Exhibition and also The Dresden Exhibit. She also took our class to experience the opera. I remember watching La Boheme, The Barber of Seville and some other titles that I can't remember. All were great experiences and made me appreciate the world of art and culture from an early age.

I was very fortunate to be under her guidance for 2nd, 4th and 5th grade.

I have been searching for her address for a few years now, but with no success. But I believe one of these days, I will be able to contact her again.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

(just fyi) I spoke to a June Sahagian today of 866 35th Ave San Francisco, CA
She was probably about 80yrs old and grew up most of her life in California. Hope this helps - no idea if it's the same one.
Regards,
Richard

Anonymous said...

That's my auntie June! Call her! 415-386-7187. Her door is always open. Tell her Alexis contacted you. xoxo.

Anonymous said...

I too had Mrs. Sahagian as a teacher at Lakeshore Elementary School for 2nd, 4th and 5th grade back in the 70's. What wonderful memories I have of such a caring person who made learning fun and exciting. And yes she did take us on some amazing field trips, even took the class to her home for a backyard barbeque!! What great memories!!

Oeoed said...

Dear All,

Thank you for your comments. I had not opened this blog for such a long time and was very surprised to see your comments. @ Richard: you are correct that is her address. I had written to her not long after I wrote about her in my blog with the address you mentioned and hoped that it was her address and yes it was. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment I really appreciate it.
@ Alexis: thank you so much for her number. I had the chance to speak to her a while back but have not been in contact again by phone. Hope she is better health wise.
Also to the anonymous person who had posted a comment. I'm pretty sure you are my classmate. Wish you had left a name and an email address so that I can contact you. I've been trying to get in touch with classmates and had only been successful in contacting a few through Facebook.

Anonymous said...

I was recently at Golden Gate park for a bike ride and stopped at Spreckels lake. I started to remember those great field trips to the lake and than to her house. On one particular trip we got to me her husband Donald. I can still remember the huge backyard and that enormous deck, well it was when your a kid.

Thanks for the blog.

Oeoed said...

I am very curious as to your identity. I think we may have been classmates. BTW Mrs. Sahagian's husband was Monty. Yes their backyard was big had hotdogs when we were there. Oh please reveal yourself Anonymous.